On Wednesday, December 2, 2020, Russell Beck will be speaking at Sandpiper Partners’ third annual program on trade secrets. The program, which will be held online, is titled “Trade Secrets: Protection, Enforcement and Litigation West Coast Conference.”
The one-day program starts at 2 p.m. PT on December 2, 2020. Registration is available here.
The program brings together judges, in-house counsel, and outside lawyers from across the country. This year’s program will address the impacts of COVID-19 and the risk of trade secret misappropriation due to the large numbers of workers unemployed, continuing large remote workforces, the economic recession, cyber-attacks, and technology challenges from increased use of remote devices.
Attendees can expect to:
- Develop new strategies for restrictive covenants and non-competes
- Hear from a unique combination of panelists in one session, including four judges, current and former Assistant U.S. Attorneys, FBI, corporate counsel, law firm experts, and consulting experts
- Learn about the latest best practices in managing and protecting trade secrets throughout the trade secret life cycle, from development through litigation
- Gain practical tips for managing risk and avoiding pitfalls with employees, joint venture partners, vendors, etc.
- Receive an update on latest cybersecurity tools to detect threats and forensic investigative tactics when theft is suspected or detected
- Learn about recent important California cases, decisions in other jurisdictions, damages awards, and settlements, including
- Learn about increased focus on thefts involving biotech, tech and Chinese entities
- COVID-19 impact on trials, ADR, and e-discovery
For up-to-the-minute analysis of legal issues concerning trade secrets and non-compete agreements in Massachusetts and across the United States, read Russell Beck’s blog, Fair Competition Law.
eck Reed Riden LLP is among the leading authorities in trade secret, noncompete, and unfair competition law, and our experience handling these matters is backed by our extensive employment law and business litigation experience. Our hand-picked team combines attorneys with complementary expertise and practical experience.
The Wall Street Journal featured Beck Reed Riden LLP’s noncompete agreement experience. In 2016, the White House issued a report entitled, “Non-Compete Agreements: Analysis of the Usage, Potential Issues, and State Responses,” relying in part on Beck Reed Riden LLP’s research and analysis, including its 50 State Noncompete Survey.
Russell Beck’s work in this area is well recognized, and includes:
- Over twenty five years working on trade secret, noncompete, and unfair competition matters
- Assisting the Obama White House as part of a small working group to develop President Obama’s Noncompete Call to Action
- Authoring the book Negotiating, Drafting, and Enforcing Noncompetition Agreements and Related Restrictive Covenants (5th ed., MCLE, Inc. 2015), used by other lawyers to help them with their noncompete matters
- Authoring the book Trade Secrets Law for the Massachusetts Practitioner (1st ed. MCLE 2019), covering trade secrets nationally, with a focus on Massachusetts law
- Drafting and advising on legislation for the Massachusetts Legislature to define, codify, and improve noncompetition law
- Teaching Trade Secrets and Restrictive Covenants at Boston University School of Law
- Founding and administrating the award-winning blog, Fair Competition Law
- Establishing and administrating the Noncompete Lawyers and Trade Secret Protection groups on LinkedIn, with over 1,600 and 850 members, respectively, around the world
- Founded and chaired the Trade Secret / Noncompete Practice for an AmLaw 100 firm
In addition, Russell was honored for his work in this area of law in the 2020 Chambers USA Guide, which stated that Russell Beck is “an expert in the field of trade secret and restrictive covenant law,” and is also noted for his “ability to adjust and come up with successful solutions.” Chambers noted that Russell “basically wrote the new Massachusetts statute on noncompetes” and that “he’s an expert in employee mobility and nonrestrictive covenants.”
Beck Reed Riden LLP is Boston’s innovative litigation boutique. Our lawyers have years of experience working with clients ranging from Fortune 500 companies to start-ups and individuals. We focus on business litigation and employment.
We are experienced litigators and counselors, helping our clients as business partners to resolve issues and develop strategies that best meet our clients’ legal and business needs – before, during, and after litigation. We’re ready to roll up our sleeves and help you. Read more about us, the types of matters we handle, and what we can do for you here.