Stephen has extensive experience litigating business disputes involving breach of contract, fraud, unfair competition, trade secrets, and noncompete agreements. He has represented companies in a variety of governmental investigations. Stephen also has substantial experience representing owners involved in intra-corporate disputes, including shareholder litigation and close-corporation control matters.
Steve Riden was selected as one of the Top 100 Lawyers in New England and Top 100 Lawyers in Massachusetts.
He is the current Co-Chair of the Board of Editors for the Boston Bar Journal. Previously, Steve was the Chair of the Board of Editors for the Boston Bar Journal, and the Co-Chair of the Boston Bar Association’s Business and Commercial Litigation Section.
Steve is the author of the first chapter in the book Damages, Interest, and Attorney Fees in Massachusetts Litigation. The chapter, supplemented in 2017, is titled “General Law of Damages in Massachusetts.”
In 2018, Steve was selected as a Fellow of the Litigation Counsel of America (LCA). The LCA is a trial lawyer honorary society representing less than one-half of one percent of American lawyers.
Prior to starting Beck Reed Riden LLP, Stephen was a senior counsel with Foley & Lardner LLP where he was a member of the Business Litigation & Dispute Resolution and IP Litigation Practices, as well as the Emerging Technologies Industry Team. He previously served as an appellate law clerk to the Honorable Elspeth B. Cypher, Appeals Court of Massachusetts.
Steve Riden’s experience includes:
- Representing corporations in class-actions, contract enforcement cases, and shareholder derivative suits
- Litigating commercial and governmental enforcement cases on behalf of health care providers
- Counseling real estate developers in disputes concerning the construction, management, and sale of commercial property
- Representing international manufacturers in connection with General Motors and Chrysler bankruptcies
- Acting as local counsel for companies in myriad actions pending in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts
- Serving as an expert witness on the reasonableness of legal fees
- President of the Boston College Law School Alumni Association.
- Chair of the Board of Editors for the Boston Bar Journal.
- Former Co-Chair of the Boston Bar Association’s Business and Commercial Litigation Section.
- Member of the Boston Bar Foundation’s Society of Fellows.
- Former Co-Chair of the Boston Bar Association’s Antitrust & Business Litigation Committee.
- Former treasurer and member of the board of directors for the Wellmet Project, Inc., a nonprofit that operates group homes for people with mental illness.
- Former chairman of the board of directors for The GIFT Foundation, Inc., a nonprofit community foundation based in Boston, where he served two years as its president.
- “Unauthorized Acts by Shareholder Leads to Judgment in Close Corporation Dispute,” Author
- “Gillette lawsuit seeks to draw line in the sand about poaching former employees,” Boston Business Journal, January 2015, Quoted
- “Report: Firms should target global companies’ business,” Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly, November 2013, Quoted; New England In-House, January 2014, Quoted
- Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly article about the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, June 2013, Quoted
- “Who Owns Employees’ Twitter Accounts?,” Forbes, November 2011, Quoted
- Quoted in a Forbes article about a lawsuit filed by a company against its former employee for using a Twitter account after leaving the company, November 2011
- “Preserving social media for e-discovery,” Lawyers USA, September 2011, Quoted
- “Judge yanks earlier e-discovery decision,” Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly, August 2011, Quoted
- “Win for video game firms,” The Boston Globe, June 28, 2011, Quoted
- “Taking your non-compete agreement from good to great,” New England In-House, May 2011, Author
- “Ruling offers broad e-discovery lessons,” New England In-House, April 2011, Quoted
- “Sanctions for e-discovery violations at ‘historic’ high,” Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly, February 2011, Quoted
- “E-discovery ruling draws bar’s attention,” Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly, August 3, 2009, Quoted
- “How To Increase Your Visibility As A New Lawyer,” Boston Bar Association, Boston, MA, May 2020, Panelist
- “Damages, Interest & Attorney Fees: Key issues for every trial attorney to overcome,” MCLE, Boston, MA, February 2018, Panelist
- “Cyber-Security and Protecting Your Trade Secrets,” CEO Connection Mid-Market Convention, Philadelphia, PA, September 2017, Panelist
- Boston Bar Association’s 15th Annual Intellectual Property Year in Review, January 2015, Boston, Speaker on trade secrets and noncompete agreements
- “The Law of Digital Games” November 2012, Boston, Speaker on use of independent contractors, employment law trends, and non-competition and non-solicitation covenants
- “Life As A Startup — Legal Do’s & Don’ts,” PoweredUp Boston’s 2010 Video Game Conference, Boston, MA, October 2010, Panelist
- “Strategic IT Contracting: Laying the Groundwork for Tomorrow’s Success,” Boston, MA, June 2009, Speaker
- “Ask the Attorneys: Noncompetes and Restrictive Covenants,” Boston, MA, June 2009, Speaker
- “Alternative Dispute Resolution: When, Why, and How to Use Arbitration, Mediation, and Binding Mediation,” Boston, MA, May 2009, Speaker
- “E-Discovery Preparedness and the Case for Information Management,” Chicago, IL and Cincinnati, OH, December 2008, Speaker
- “Medical Records Law in Massachusetts,” Taunton, MA, Peabody, MA, and Dedham, MA, November & December 2008, Speaker & Contributing Author
- “Legal View of Data Compliance,” Boston, MA, June 2007, Speaker
- “Discovery in Employment Litigation,” MCLE, Boston, MA, July 2006, Speaker & Panelist
AV Preeminent® is a registered certification mark of Reed Elsevier Properties Inc., used under in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies.
AV® Preeminent® Peer Review Rated
Best Lawyers® – 2013 – 2020
Recipient of Boston College Law School’s 2010 Chapter Award for Boston
Massachusetts Super Lawyers® 2013 through 2020
Litigation Counsel of America, Fellow
Included in the 2005 – 2012 editions of Massachusetts Super Lawyers – Rising Stars® for work in business litigation.