Russell Beck has been recognized by The Legal 500 United States 2021 as a Leading Lawyer for trade secrets attorneys in the U.S.
Russell Beck is the only attorney from a small firm included on this list of national experts.
According to one testimonial from The Legal 500, Russell Beck is “a standout in developing and arriving at knowledgeable solutions to non-compete and trade secret issues. Exercises good judgment and very user friendly.”
In addition, Beck Reed Riden LLP was recommended in the category of “Trade secrets (litigation and non-contentious matters).”
The following is the independent editorial write up from The Legal 500 on the firm’s ranking:
Boutique firm Beck Reed Riden LLP boasts a breadth of expertise in trade secrets and restrictive covenants, with particular specialisms in trade secret protection, business litigation and employment matters. The firm is also known for counseling on company-wide trade secrets protection and employee movements. The team has helped to shape federal and state legislation in the area, advising federal legislators, state legislators and administrations at the federal and state levels. Russell Beck leads the practice from the firm’s Boston office and provides contentious and non-contentious trade secrets advice across the US.
The Legal 500 US provides impartial, third-party opinions on leading lawyers and law firms across the country. The Legal 500 relies upon a sophisticated methodology to determine which firms and attorneys are included in its list.
eck Reed Riden LLP is among the leading authorities in trade secret, noncompete, and unfair competition law, and our experience handling these matters is backed by our extensive employment law and business litigation experience. Our hand-picked team combines attorneys with complementary expertise and practical experience.
The Wall Street Journal featured Beck Reed Riden LLP’s noncompete agreement experience. In 2016, the White House issued a report entitled, “Non-Compete Agreements: Analysis of the Usage, Potential Issues, and State Responses,” relying in part on Beck Reed Riden LLP’s research and analysis, including its 50 State Noncompete Survey.
Russell Beck’s work in this area is well recognized, and includes:
- Over thirty working on trade secret, noncompete, and unfair competition matters
- Assisting the Obama White House as part of a small working group to develop President Obama’s Noncompete Call to Action
- Authoring the book Negotiating, Drafting, and Enforcing Noncompetition Agreements and Related Restrictive Covenants (6th ed., MCLE, Inc. 2021), used by other lawyers to help them with their noncompete matters
- Authoring the book Trade Secrets Law for the Massachusetts Practitioner (1st ed. MCLE 2019), covering trade secrets nationally, with a focus on Massachusetts law
- Drafting and advising on legislation for the Massachusetts Legislature to define, codify, and improve noncompetition law
- Teaching Trade Secrets and Restrictive Covenants at Boston University School of Law
- Founding and administering the award-winning blog, Fair Competition Law
- Establishing and administering the Noncompete Lawyers and Trade Secret Protection groups on LinkedIn, with over 1,660 and 870 members, respectively, around the world
- Founded and chaired the Trade Secret / Noncompete Practice for an AmLaw 100 firm
In addition, Russell was honored for his work in this area of law in the 2020 Chambers USA Guide, which stated that Russell Beck is “an expert in the field of trade secret and restrictive covenant law,” and is also noted for his “ability to adjust and come up with successful solutions.” Chambers noted that Russell “basically wrote the new Massachusetts statute on noncompetes” and that “he’s an expert in employee mobility and nonrestrictive covenants.”
Beck Reed Riden LLP is Boston’s innovative litigation boutique. Our lawyers have years of experience working with clients ranging from Fortune 500 companies to start-ups and individuals. We focus on business litigation and employment.
We are experienced litigators and counselors, helping our clients as business partners to resolve issues and develop strategies that best meet our clients’ legal and business needs – before, during, and after litigation. We’re ready to roll up our sleeves and help you. Read more about us, the types of matters we handle, and what we can do for you here.