The November 4, 2013, online edition of The National Law Journal features Russell Beck in an article about violating nonsolicitation agreements through the use social media titled “LinkedIn Post Likely Didn’t Violate Non-Compete Clause.” The article is by Sheri Qualters, National Law Journal reporter covering intellectual property.
The story focuses on the issues surrounding application of restrictive covenants like nonsolicitation agreements to social media.
Massachusetts law on what constitutes solicitation in the world of social media is still developing. But the preliminary injunction order seems to allow the type of announcements courts previously allowed in trade newspapers . . . .
Russell Beck also summarizes the law on solicitation through a LinkedIn post:
“Merely announcing your new job on LinkedIn, without more, is generally not going to be considered a violation of most non-solicitation agreements,” he said. “The fact that a LinkedIn announcement reaches a narrow, perhaps relatively-targeted audience, or remains visible for an extended period, does not change its fundamental character.”
Beck Reed Riden LLP is among the leading authorities in trade secret, noncompete, and unfair competition law, and our experience handling these matters is backed by our extensive employment law and business litigation experience. Our hand-picked team combines attorneys with complementary expertise and practical experience.
Russell Beck’s work in this area is well recognized; it includes:
- Eighteen years of working on trade secret, noncompete, and unfair competition matters
- Authoring the book Negotiating, Drafting, and Enforcing Noncompetition Agreements and Related Restrictive Covenants (4th ed., MCLE, Inc. 2010), used by other lawyers to help them with their noncompete cases
- Drafting and advising on the current bill pending before the Massachusetts Legislature to define, codify, and improve noncompetition law
- Teaching Trade Secrets and Restrictive Covenants at Boston University School of Law
- Founding and administrating the award-winning blog, Fair Competition Law
- Establishing and administrating the Noncompete Lawyers and Trade Secret Protection groups on LinkedIn, with over 1,000 members around the world
- Founded and chaired the Trade Secret / Noncompete Practice for an AmLaw 100 firm
In addition, Russell was honored for his work in this area of law in the 2013 Chambers USA Guide, which identified Russell as one of its “Notable Practitioners,” stating, “The highly regarded Russell Beck of Beck Reed Riden LLP has an excellent reputation for his work on trade secret and noncompete issues.“
Beck Reed Riden LLP is Boston’s innovative litigation boutique. Our lawyers have years of experience at large law firms, working with clients ranging from Fortune 500 companies to start-ups and individuals. We focus on business litigation and labor and employment. We are experienced litigators and counselors, helping our clients as business partners to resolve issues and develop strategies that best meet our clients’ legal and business needs – before, during, and after litigation. We’re ready to roll up our sleeves and help you. Read more about us, the types of matters we handle, and what we can do for you here.